THE PURPLE PARADE is a unifying national platform to promote awareness and celebrate abilities of Persons with Disabilities. The core of The Purple Parade movement is to ensure that Persons with Disabilities are included in the main chapter of Singapore’s growth and have equal access to education, employment, transport and social networks.
The event has been held each year in Singapore from 2013 to 2015 at Speakers Corner in Hong Lim Park, as well as the Fountain of Wealth in Suntec City from 2016 to 2019 on a Saturday in October or November. The 2020 event was held on 31 October, the first virtual event.
The 9th run of The Purple Parade will be a hybrid concert with a combination of live and online performances, featuring talents from different disability groups and individuals. It will be held on 30 October 2021.
The Parade consists of participating groups and individuals, representing a community of like-minded organisations such as Voluntary Welfare Organisations, schools, social enterprises, government agencies and corporations. They are all united by a common belief that People with Disabilities have abilities and are able to contribute to society.
The Parade comprises four key components:
- Campaign: A pre-event campaign at locations such as schools, shopping malls and train cabins, to create awareness of the Parade and the movement.
- Carnival: A carnival comprising booths by participating organisations from the public and private sectors, to raise funds for organisations in the Disability sector.
- Contingent: A march-past of various contingent groups from the public and private sector, decked out in unique costumes and props, to show their support for the movement.
- Concert: An all-inclusive concert showcasing the talents of performers with and without Disabilities. Performing groups include representatives from various organisations in the Disability sector, as well as the 3Ps (People, Public, Private).
- Conversations: A human library for people to gain a deeper understanding of the Disability community through sharing of personal stories.
In 2021, due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the organisers have moved the events online. The event will be livestreamed on their facebook page on 31st October 2021
There are 3 ways to support persons with disabilities through The Purple Parade 2021!
Find out more at www.purpleparade.sg
To show our support, shoppers who come to Spectrum Store Suntec City dressed in purple between 23rd October 2021 to 31st October 2021 will be eligible for at 10% Off their purchase.
In this collection, we have put together all things purple 💜 Shop more here here
Shop the entire collection here